21570Re: [midatlanticretro] Found some Core Memory

  • Dan Roganti
    Jun 2, 2011
      On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:
      On 6/2/11 6:09 AM, B Degnan wrote:
      > Would not DEC or Nova core be most compatible to what you're doing?

        I think he's talking about using the raw core plane, so at that
      level, there's effectively no difference.

      when I took a closer look, it does appear to be a raw core plane - is that PG-rated ;)
      As there's no support logic on there that you typically see in a memory controller circuit. Other than what appears to be some kind of buffer or level translator chips sparsely located on the edges of the core and routed to the backplane card edge connectors.

      This is a common approach, as even the old systems I worked on used a stand alone memory controller card and individual cards with core memory and the bare essentials.

      > ...but for that matter wouldn't be best at first to use a modern RAM so
      > that you can have something reliable for testing of the system in
      > general? Then later replace with a core memory ?

        FRAM!! 8-)

       Gotta git me some FRAM !!

      =Dan

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic