2128Re: [midatlanticretro] Any PCjr's left out there?

  • Brian Heise
    Jan 22, 2006
      Ok...a quick reply to my own question of pain....but
      I checked EVERYTHING....over and over, but everything seemed to be hooked up the way I remembered. Then in an effort to calm my wife down over a pesky-loud power supply that would constantly "buzz" while plugged in, I finally changed it out. (This power supply was hooked into the main CPU, mind you, and worked to boot the jr up just minutes before)...
      After changing the power supply out, it was magic...the HDD unit worked... It seems that there might not have been enough juice getting to the main power board, which allowed it to boot ok, but caused power issues...or lack-thereof to other hardware...
      I'd never have thought it to be so simple of a fix...

      Still....if someone has a users manual for Racore 1511/1521, a scan would be greatly appreciated...

      Also...In lines with VCF (My questions never cease...do they?)...I had an email conversation with a gentlemen about a year ago who said they sold a legacy floppy controller for the pcjr at a VCF which let the jr run a 1.44mb floppy drive....anyone heard or seen this before???   Must be a VERY rare option if it existed...

      Brian

      Brian Heise <nampcjr@...> wrote:
      In line with my previous posts of TMC850jr... I have a Racore Model 1521 HDD unit which is also causing me some heartache....I know I had this puppy working in late Dec 03 (I went to Iraq the following month and made two military moves since then)...but after unpacking and finding all the components...I only receive a "Racore Fixed Disk Error".....The unit is identical to the 2nd drive add-on kits made my Racore/Rapport/Legacy, but has its own PCB and ROM for booting the HDD...Pain in the rear......to put it lightly...  Anyone have a users maunal stashed away in a collection somewhere?

      Brian

      Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
      Bill,

      Next time I'm down there in Jersey I need to come over to your house and poke
      around. If you see a jr sidecar with a row of DIP switches and a coax
      connector, please let me know!

      What would be a real find would be an ethernet adapter for the jr, but in all
      my research, I have not seen any reference to such a device from IBM or any
      third party (like 3Com).

      Jim

      --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > I have some side cars, and will check to see what I have.  I doubt I have
      > the SCSI sidecar, but...
      > Bill D
      >

      > At 12:12 AM 1/11/2006 +0000, you wrote:
      > >Hey all, new to the group here! What a nice thing to find a group in
      > >my "general" vicinity! (VA)
      > >
      > >I am an avid PCjr collector, and have a lot of great third party items
      > >that are odd and yet unique to the PCjr.  One thing I would love to
      > >find, is one of the TMC 850jr SCSI sidecars! Anyone out there have any
      > >experience with them or have one?
      > >
      > >Brian
      > >

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Yahoo! Photos