21070Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Need 3B2/310 Help!

  • Mr Ian Primus
    May 3, 2011
      --- On Tue, 5/3/11, epsilonprocess <als@...> wrote:

      > I took the readings with the floppy and hard drive
      > disconnected, but
      > with the system board connected. I didn't see the damage on
      > the
      > connector until I dismantled the system board/expansion
      > cage, but there
      > was no further smoking. I did later plug in the hard drive
      > with the
      > system board disconnected, and it did spin up, though I
      > didn't take any
      > readings with it connected. I'll have to do that.

      OK, then it really sounds like your power supply is OK. Check carefully the burned area, and see if any of the traces were damaged. Also see if you can figure out what might have caused it - if there is a burned screw rattling around in there or something. That's not the way power connectors usually burn - they usually darken and discolor in one spot, and burn the associated wiring harness plug too. That looks like something fell in there and shorted it out then burned.

      > With the system board connected, the green LED lights up.
      > If the reset
      > button is pressed, the green LED flashes then goes solid
      > again. There's
      > only a red LED next to the green one that I figured was the
      > hard disk.
      > Is that the diagnostic LED? If so, that one never lit up.

      There are two LED's on the front, the left one is green (power), and the right one is amber/red (Diagnostic). There is no hard disk light.

      > At no point did the system POST anything to the terminal.
      > It's a 610
      > terminal set to 9600/8/n/1. I didn't check the battery
      > level. I'll have
      > to do that as well. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to get to
      > the shop
      > tonight or this week. Let you know what else I find.

      Are you sure the cable is wired correctly? Do you have a "christmas tree box", with the little lights that you can put on the RS232 line to see if there is any activity at all?

      -Ian
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic