21058Re: [midatlanticretro] Need 3B2/310 Help!

  • Mr Ian Primus
    May 2, 2011
      --- On Mon, 5/2/11, epsilonprocess <als@...> wrote:

      > Rather than go through the measurement details for
      > everyone, if anyone with 3B2 experience can offer some help,
      > I'd like to hear from you.
      >
      > Luckily part of the package he sent me included a backup
      > main system board. But before I even try it, I would like
      > some help from anyone with experience servicing 3B2's.

      I've spent a fair amount of time inside my /310, so...

      Where did the smoke come from? Did it come from the power supply? Are the output voltages at the floppy power connector still OK? I would put my money on some faulty mylar caps in the power supply - they go across the AC line and when they fail, you get lots of smoke. The same sort of thing happens to Apple II's and the like...

      Take the power supply out, and take the cover off. You're looking for a little yellow block capacitor with a hole blown in it.

      -Ian
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic