20829Productive day @ museum

    Apr 17 7:18 PM
      Busy day. Jeff F. dropped off another Lisa 2 -- sans keyboard just like
      our other two Lisa 2 systems. Funny story: it came from someone who saw
      our booth at Trenton. The guy said he had an Apple III. I called him
      to say thank you, and to inform him that although we're grateful, it's a
      Lisa 2, not an Apple III. We both had a harmless laugh over his
      misunderstanding. He said, "Well, I also have a Lisa laptop" -- and he
      wasn't kidding. "Excuse me? I'm sorry but you are mistaken again.
      There was no Lisa laptop." "No, it's a Lisa laptop. It's around the
      size of a laptop, with a handle on the back and a 5-1/4" floppy drive
      built into the right side." "You mean an Apple IIc?" "Oh. ....." :)

      I also showed Jeff around our H-building storage. He hasn't been by
      since we moved out of that small corner in the adjacent section. But he
      was one of the people who helped us stuff everything into that corner a
      couple of years ago, so he was quite amazed to see how the collection
      has grown!

      Matt couldn't come today and Jeff J. is on vacation, so it was just me
      and Jeff B. all day. We closed the museum today and spend the afternoon
      in the hotel basement. We sorted all the books and magazines down there
      into library and sale piles. That took pretty much the whole day, but
      now it's finally finished.

      However today's highlight was meeting Oliver Reynolds. Who, you ask?
      Nobody in our realm ever heard of him until today. He's 88 and learned
      about InfoAge by seeing an article in the local weekly newspaper
      recently. He stopped by today and said he worked during starting after
      World War II, and then worked there on and off for a few decades --
      include outside stints at Control Data and Magnavox.

      Old-times visit InfoAge and reminisce about their Camp Evans days all
      the time, so that's not so unusual. The part that REALLY got my
      attention was Steve took him to see our computer exhibits, and he said,
      "Oh, we built a tube computer here in the 1950s."

      OH REALLY .... !!!???

      That is GREAT news. MOBIDIC starting in 1956 was a very early
      transistor computer; meanwhile the generation started by ENIAC was
      considered over by 1953. So if he really built a tube computer at Camp
      Evans, even if it was post-1953, that is VERY early in electronic
      computer history. We already know that Camp Evans was a customer of the
      Moore School's differential analyzer in 1947, so it's possible that
      Reynolds or his colleagues attended the legendary Moore School Lectures
      in 1946 -- I didn't think to ask him. Even if he wasn't there, it never
      occurred to me to look at the lecture roster and see if anyone from Camp
      Evans was there. I'm going to check it out immediately. Meanwhile, he
      did say that he's got a color negative of him standing with the
      computer, and that InfoAge is welcome to scan it. That means we can
      make it into a big poster. He added that he's got a huge scrapbook of
      his time at Camp Evans. So, Fred and I were very excited about this.
      He's going to come by Wednesday afternoon, bring his scrapbook, and do
      an on-camera interview with Fred. Fred says I can ask the
      computer-related questions. This will be fun. And if Camp Evans really
      did build its own tube computer in the 1950s, well, that is a BIG
      addition to our rich history. It's something we can really brag about.
      It's also possible that the computer was classified, and that would
      explain why it's not on the list of early computers in history books.
      For example, I have a book called "An Introduction to Automatic
      Computers" which is very thorough and highly regarded by serious
      historians. It lists the Monrobot-1 (1953) being at Ft. Monmouth, which
      could mean Camp Evans; I don't know any details. Then again, the book
      also lists DYSEAC (1954) also as Ft. Monmouth, which to my knowledge is
      a typo -- DYSEAC was built at the National Bureau of Standards (D.C.)
      and tested at the White Sands Signal Agency (New Mexico).

      Anyway .... I'll report back Wednesday.

      Next weekend, now that we finished stage one of the book sorting, we'll
      move into stage two, which is categorizing the for-sale books.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic