20592Re: [midatlanticretro] 1980 video by AT&T/Bell Labs about microprocessors

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Mar 31, 2011
      Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> writes:

      >On Mar 31, 2011 7:25 AM, <system@...> wrote: > > Dan
      >Roganti <ragooman@...> writes: > >> Dan Roganti
      ><ragooman@...> writes: > > >There's a funny line in > >there
      >"These two buttons [star and pound] reserved for compu= ter
      >communications and other far-out uses...." > > Not at all. Just putting
      >the "astounding 7,000" transistors comment into > perspective. WRT
      >Moore's Law, I believe we've achieved more acceleration > than Moore
      >anticipated. >
      >
      >Yes, I think that one has been broken several times over. What would be
      >nice to see is a timeline charting the devices and transistor count.

      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/00/Transistor_Count_and_Moore%27s_Law_-_2008.svg

      These are mostly Intel data points save for Power and an odd one or two
      others. I suspect that DEC's Alpha in 1992 would have represented quite
      a large perturbation to this otherwise linear progression. No sense in
      clouding statistics with facts, however. ;)
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic