20530Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM 360 and older computers - any still running?

    Mar 28, 2011
      At 08:24 PM 3/28/2011, you wrote:

      >> CHM has a working DEC PDP-1 from 1960.
      > Do you know the date of the working one? Their web pages don't seem to give the history of the particular machine they have restored. From other sites it was stated the one they have on display was the last made and another site said PDP-1's were made from 1959 to 1969.

      Good point.  I'll find out.

      I sometimes write rambling posts, sorry.

      I really wanted to know is what/where is the oldest working electronic mainfram/mini computer in the USA, or at least in our region?  The cctalk thread Evan referenced quickly turned into "what is a computer", etc, not very helpful.  I can't find any really good videos or specific articles, even a "top 10 oldest computers list".   Might a good topic for research I suppose?  I would be kind of sad if the 196x PDP-1 at CHM was the oldest working mini/mainfr. computer in the USA.  Think of all of the huge systems that are now gone.  If I understand correctly the Mark I was still in-tact.    It could be revived someday.

      MARCH's Univac is a model 1219-II, which is not exactly the same thing as the original 1219, though it has the same form factor and design.  MARCHs UNIVAC 1219-II is a contemporary of MARCHs PDP 8, both I'd estimate dating 1965  and 1967 respectively.

      I would think some insurance company in Manhattan or Philadelphia would have an IBM 360 in their corporate headquarters basement, or at least I would hope one surfaces.  We'd probably have to wait until after VCF for that rescue.

      We need an archaeologist.    ... and a crane.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic