2029Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

    Jan 5, 2006
      Joe,

      With all the poking around you've been doing the disk error could just mean a
      loose cable. How much RAM does it have? It probably doesn't have enough to
      load the Knoppix kernel - never mind X and Gnome.

      I just typed 'boot disk xenix' into Yahoo search and found a reference to
      http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1downloadboot.html which is a list of
      FTPable boot disk images. There is a listing for Xenix 2.3.2 386 MCA 3.5"
      (ESDI)which is probably exactly what you need.

      Unfortunately the links are to Caldera and now you get caught up in the SCO
      UNIX mess as it appears the files are no longer available from Caldera. This
      is a start to what is probably a long quest.

      Anyway, keep posting your progress.

      > William Pechter wrote:
      >
      > > There's a possible way out... You can boot a linux system on the box
      > > and mount the Xenix filesystem and vi out the root password to get
      > > access...
      > >
      > > Does the machine have a SCSI or IDE CD drive and can it boot Knoppix
      > > from either a CD or Floppy...
      > >
      > > It possibly could be done over a network boot but that's a bit more
      > > difficult.
      > >
      > > I've done it at work with SCO OpenDesktop which is kind of Xenix's
      > > grandson...
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > It has no way of connecting a CD ROM drive. There is an old token ring
      > card in there, but all it has is a DB-9 out. Plus, I am now getting a
      > 10490 error on startup. I looked it up, and it indicates "ESDI Fixed
      > Disk 0 error". Joy. I'll try USENET.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic