2017Re: [midatlanticretro] Problem with IBM PS/2 Model 80-041

  • madodel
    Jan 3, 2006
      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      > I've just run into a problem. It seemed that there was something wrong
      > with the Computone terminal MCA card and breakout box. The machine
      > refused to boot when it got to testing the card and loading the drivers.
      > I removed the card. Now, it refuses to see the Hard Drive and is just
      > booting into BASIC. it is also giving me a 165 error code at boot. When
      > I have tried to boot from a floppy, it acts as if the disk is blank and
      > proceeds to boot into BASIC. I have tried a DOS 5.2 and 3.2 boot disk,
      > along with an OS/2 boot disk. I even tried a reference disk. Nothing. Is
      > there some special formattig method I should do to the floppies?
      > Additionally, when I turn it on, there is a very high pitched whine
      > coming from somewhere in the case. I don't know if it is coming from the
      > speaker or from somewhere else.
      > Thanks
      > Joe G

      A great place to ask about PS/2 problems is the Usenet group

      A list of PS/2 error codes can be found at
      http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2d.html "165 PS/2 system options
      not set" So I would think that you would correct this using the
      Reference diskette for the model 80. You might check out
      http://ps2supersite.homedns.org/files/ for the latest release of the
      80 reference disk in case the one you have isn't. Another site (
      http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/ibmdiag.htm ) lists the 165 error as
      "PS/2 adapter ID mismatch" so maybe you can try pulling out any
      unnecessary cards and see if the error goes away.

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20

      growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than
      their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism -
      ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any
      controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message
      proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic