20139Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of building stuff ...

  • Bob Schwier
    Mar 1, 2011

      On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > In case some of our newer members didn't know, one of the really neat
      > things in our collection is an unassembled Morrow S-100 kit. We plan to
      > leave it unassembled, but maybe lay out the parts and documentation, so
      > visitors can see the "building" a computer of that period was different
      > than building one today. Sometimes when I mention DIY computing to
      > museum visitors, they think it's the same as plugging in modern PC
      > components -- "Oh I built a computer too." -- ummmm not like this kind
      > you didn't. ;)

      When I have time, I'm going to build a vintage SBC kit I have, a SD
      Systems Z80 Starter Kit from 1978/79:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/S100/Z80Starter.jpg

      I believe all the parts are present. It has two S-100 slots, a
      wirewrap area, Kansas City Tape interface, 2758/2716 EPROM burner,
      7-segment display and hex keypad, with the ZBUG monitor in ROM.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...

      Is there a source for simple components?  It seems that bread boarding modern equivalents of the chips used at the time
      might do the trick.  It's probably easier to get the discrete components up to the basic ttl chips than it is to get the
      micro processor and other more advanced integrated chips.
      bs
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic