20134Re: [midatlanticretro] Mark-8

  • Dan Roganti
    Mar 1, 2011
      On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

      > >>> Build it in 2 days?
      > Sounds like a pipe dream.
      > Some humor was intended in my comment.

      *Assembly* should be very doable in two days. That, of course, assumes that you've already etched and drilled the boards.

      yes, the assembly is quite doable for those that have the soldering experience.
      And there's 24hrs in a day ;)

      The big question is - are there board layout drawings available? If so, making the boards ourselves is very doable. The Mark 8 boards were simple, double sided boards. Not through plated. Making those yourself with the laser printer toner transfer method is not hard - just tedious.

      Vince Briel once made the scans available on his website, I'm sure he can offer it again.
      There's several websites online documenting the restoration , rebuild, etc of the Mark-8
      And Jon Titus is still available as a direct source of info.

      Sourcing all the components, especally the processor, will be difficult - although not impossible.

      There's the private stash ;)

      I see this as a very viable club project. The first step is to collect whatever information is available about the hardware of the Mark 8 - the fixes necessary to make it work, the board interconnection diagrams, etc.

      For the VCF workshop, I would suggest having one person per board to assemble, then strict QA over the whole assembly before ever applying power. Be ready to stay up all night :)

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic