20129Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of building stuff ...

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Mar 1, 2011

      > Another example: I'm always trying to explain to our young
      > visitors how terminals differ from keyboards and monitors.
      > Consider the SWTPc 6800: there's a box (the computer), a
      > standalone screen, and a large-ish thing with a keyboard.
      > Best I could come up with is to explain that keyboards and
      > monitors are just accessories that plug into PCs, while
      > terminals are separate products that "talk" to a computer
      > over a network. Seems like a decent way to explain this to
      > the masses, technical details aside, right?

      Yeah, but it's confusing, since the connection is not a network connection. Network implies more than two devices are capable of communicating on the same line. You should explain how the terminal takes care of drawing the letters on the screen, and talking to the keyboard - and simply passes the characters along to the computer, and displays the characters the computer sends to it. Explain how the terminal is a separate device, capable of displaying the text, even when the computer is disconnected or shut off.

      -Ian
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic