20127Re: [midatlanticretro] Speaking of building stuff ...

  • Mike Loewen
    Mar 1, 2011
      On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > In case some of our newer members didn't know, one of the really neat
      > things in our collection is an unassembled Morrow S-100 kit. We plan to
      > leave it unassembled, but maybe lay out the parts and documentation, so
      > visitors can see the "building" a computer of that period was different
      > than building one today. Sometimes when I mention DIY computing to
      > museum visitors, they think it's the same as plugging in modern PC
      > components -- "Oh I built a computer too." -- ummmm not like this kind
      > you didn't. ;)

      When I have time, I'm going to build a vintage SBC kit I have, a SD
      Systems Z80 Starter Kit from 1978/79:

      I believe all the parts are present. It has two S-100 slots, a
      wirewrap area, Kansas City Tape interface, 2758/2716 EPROM burner,
      7-segment display and hex keypad, with the ZBUG monitor in ROM.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...