2012Re: [midatlanticretro] (was) New Aquisition! - (now) XENIX: Don't format yet!

  • Joe Giliberti
    Feb 2 6:38 PM
      B. Degnan wrote:

      >You'll learn more if you try to figure out how it was used as-is, keeping
      >the XENIX OS intact first before formatting with DOS. You might be able to
      >find a terminal that you can attach to the DB-25 ports. I am sure that
      >there are XENIX info sources out on the web. If you can't find anything
      >let me know and I will send you a copy of a quick reference card or
      >something. It's a good OS, it will give you historical perspective about
      >the evolution of networking. I have never seen a model 80 with XENIX
      >myself, it would be interesting to see how boot/driver processing is
      >handled by XENIX on a PS/2.
      >Bill D

      I'll give it a chance. My father, who used to work a Bell Labs was
      telling me that XENIX is essentially UNIX, under the Microsoft name.
      Now, there is apparently a password lockout on this machine. Can anyone
      tell me the default username and password for XENIX 5, if such a thing
      exists? It doesn't seem to want to read the floppy disk, and I'm not
      sure what kind of tape drive this is. It seems to have been made
      specifically for this model.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic