20119Re: [midatlanticretro] Mark-8

  • Bruce Freeman
    Mar 1, 2011
      "Replica."  That's a good word for it.

      Build it in 2 days?  Sounds like a pipe dream.  Did you read that article about how some of the instructions were flawed and the PC boards not plated through so you had to solder IC's on both sides of the board?  Sounds like more than a weekend project to me.  Might have to resurrect some of those old BBS correspondences to get all the fixes they came up with.  (THERE's a preservation effort that may have been missed.  Has anyone stashed all that old BBS correspondence anywhere?  There may be only one message in a million that's worth anything, but the same could be said for letters from Civil War soldiers....)

      However, I was thinking more of making most of the unavailable parts oneself.  Cut and etch the boards, etc.  If you can get them, no need for this, though.

      And the article suggested that some folks modified existing boards to use in this design -- but I didn't follow it all that well, so could be wrong about that.

      As to giving it to another space -- combine efforts and build two.  That might make debugging the circuitry easier anyway.  Then each gets one.  It's a moot point till there's a space that shows some interest.

      On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      >>> Have you guys ever considered reconstructing a computer like the Mark-8?

      Considered? Yes, daily! Getting the parts would be difficult. We do have a replica Mark-8 front panel thanks to Titus himself, and he would help us with any questions.

      Perhaps that's an idea for VCF East 8.0 in 2012, as MARCH's final pre-apocalypse project. :)

      We'd have a year to gather the parts and plan the assembly .... then we could assign people like Bill Deg. and Dan to start Saturday morning and see if they can build it by Sunday end-of-show!

      (No way would we "give" that project to some other group. It's too core to our heritage to let others have the fun and the credit!)

      --
      Bruce
      NJ