19726Re: [midatlanticretro] Spaghetti code

    Jan 27, 2011
      Real programmers don't use comments. If it was hard to write, it should
      be hard to understand.

      Back in the late 80's we bought a CICS package from IBM's Italian
      subsidiary. I do not recall what the software was supposed to do, but it
      was written in COBOL. The COBOL was straightforward and easy to
      understand (COBOL keywords are English) except that all the variable
      names were in Italian. A couple people with grandparents from "the old
      country" had to translate the source code! I'm not sure which pasta fits
      this code as the problem was the sauce.

      Jim

      On 1/27/2011 12:25 PM, Dan Roganti wrote:
      > On Thursday, January 27, 2011, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...
      > <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>> wrote:
      > >
      > > Might this be the origin of the term?
      > >
      > > http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Media/Plug01-L.jpg
      > >

      > Yea,yea you software guys are always trying to blame hardware :)
      > That may be the origin of 'Kludge' :)
      >
      > What I like to know is what came first
      > As you SW folks always like to be original ;)
      > Spaghetti code, Pasta code or Lasagna code
      > http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/pasta.code.html
      >
      > --
      > --http://www.vintagecomputer.net/ragooman/

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic