19432Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF E 7 Exhibitor Details PRELIMINARY

  • Bruce Freeman
    Jan 3, 2011
      Reminds me of an idea I had back when working for a computer firm -- a "chip" that would do nothing but release a cloud of smoke when it was first powered up.  Preferably configured to replace some removable chip, so it could be swapped out quickly the evening of March 31.

      On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

      --- On Mon, 1/3/11, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@...> wrote:

      On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 11:02 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > > There is a new award category - First to Smoke - First computer to
      > > go up in smoke or otherwise cook itself will win this prize.
      >
      > Poor Ian...was the Prime ever brought back to life?

      That particular machine-smoking was not my fault, nor was it the machine's fault, so I don't know if it would qualify under those rules - i.e., it didn't cook "itself". Now, if you were to add "miswired electrical socket" to the list, then, yeah.

      I was eventually able to repair it. One of the terminals was a total loss though.

      -Ian

      --
      Bruce
      NJ