19381Re: [midatlanticretro] future museum tours

  • Dan Roganti
    Dec 25, 2010
      On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:07 AM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      > to followup on myself
      > re: self guided tours
      >> I have an old el-cheap-o cellphone and no iPod or iPad but for those who do, could they use the InfoAge WiFi to download MP3s of narration
      > To paraphrase Tricky Dicky "let me make this perfectly clear": I'm suggesting we find ways for visitors/guests to use their own cellphone/WiFi equipment to eliminate the need to lend things.
      >

      > -- Jeff3 Jonas

      Well, we're already decided on using dumb terminals as in-the-exhibit
      kiosks.  But I agree with you that there's probably a way we could use
      your method as well and do some very cool things

      I think you need keep it simple - just consider what museums did before all this technology. It's called a button - you press on it and out comes a recording.

      Have someone writeup something short about its history for each exhibit and get somebody with a good voice to narrate the script. You just need a nice little plastic covered sign with the exhibit title and a [arcade] button mounted on there.

      Now as for the recording device, you can easily find any digital device cheap enough, also speakers, by searching online which you can wireup the play button. I've done simple stuff this already for our museum here.

      That's all.
      =Dan

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic