18858Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal

  • Richard Cini
    Nov 2, 2010
      Re: [midatlanticretro] WTD-serial terminal Ok, one more thought. Does anyone know of a reasonable parallel-to-PS/2 converter? I have an ASCII keyboard or two laying around and with the proper encoding could be used with the PS/2 interface on the Pocketerm. I did some searching and there are quite a few for MAME arcade build-outs (I have one), but they use discrete switch inputs to ground and convert it to a keyboard character.

      More Googling ahead...

      On 11/2/10 7:45 PM, "Richard Cini" <rich.cini@...> wrote:

      On 11/2/10 8:17 AM, "Gene Buckle" <geneb@...> wrote:
          On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Richard Cini wrote:

      > Gene --
      >
      >    Actually I looked into it after I saw this email. It’s a great item but
      > unless “packaged” correctly, it looses something in the look and feel area.
      > I guess with the right keyboard (like an IBM “clicky” keyboard) and a custom
      > case (like the MAME arcade kind of thing, but desktop), it could result in a
      > good reproduction. The second serial port is a bonus, as you can use that
      > (hopefully) as a paper tape input.

      It almost begs a nice wooden enclosure that would replace the Model M
      keyboard case as well as provide a housing for the PCB and maybe a 14"
      LCD. :)

      Look at this: eBay item 150514710557. It’s a Heath H9 terminal. Not being a Heath guy, I didn’t know this existed. It’s about the right form factor, approximately, for a hacked together Pocketerm and 14” LCD monitor. The case could be wood and metal like the SOL or maybe something else. Hmmmm....

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers