18779Re: [midatlanticretro] Proposed NJ law may impact our hobby

  • Bob Applegate
    Oct 27, 2010
      > A lot of these seemingly for-the-greater-good regulations do have negative
      > impact when the law is misunderstood by authorities enforcing it or abused
      > by those looking to do others harm. Of course, that can be said of most
      > laws. I'd fully support a law that plainly stated, "no one is allowed to
      > put electronics in the municipal waste."

      How do you define electronics? One person's old flashlight is another
      person's electronics. How about an LED flashlight? That uses a
      semiconductor.

      I've put aluminum tubing into recycling (yesterday, as a matter of fact)
      but the recycling crew refused to take it even though our township rules
      clearly state that aluminum is to be recycled. My assumption is that they
      assumed it was steel.

      And yes, I've dealt a lot with the WEEE and RoHS rules at another company.
      The leadless solder grows whiskers which can eventually cause
      shorts/failures in the circuit, which is why there are so many exemptions
      being allowed. It was a great rule for the environment, but didn't work
      all that well so a lot of loopholes were put into place just to get around
      the issues. Rules without the knowledge to understand the impact of them
      are often bad.

      It'll take some court cases for the NJ rule to get better defined.
      Hopefully it won't be my lawyer helping with the definition ;-)

      Bob
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic