18774Re: Proposed NJ law may impact our hobby

  • Mike Hatch
    Oct 27, 2010
      As a collector across the pond here in the UK, I find our laws rather like that proposed by NJ have made NO difference to my collecting or disposal of old electronics, it may even have helped in finding "new" old stuff, people now use channels like FreeCycle and CraigList rather than dumping the kit.

      We have had the WEEE (The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive) regulations for a couple of years now, it forces manufacturers and retailers to have a returns channel for consumers to be able return their old electronics and electricals to the point of origin for correct disposal when purchasing new kit, most times free or minor cost. WEEE covers anything electrical, including all forms of batteries.

      Also our local councils usually run recycling centers where the public can return old electronics and electricals for free, but if you cannot shift it, most councils will come and get it, again usually for free.

      In my view it is a positive improvement and has not been difficult to adhere to.

      As for the use of lead solder, again no problems, it is still readily available but can only be used for the repair of older pre-non lead regulation equipment, so all of my vintage stuff can still be worked on and repaired with impunity. New builds or repair of new equipment must be with non-leaded solder, no problem.

      I can't speak for Europe, their regs are a bit different, but places like Germany have been doing this for some years.

      Mike.
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic