18770Re: [midatlanticretro] Proposed NJ law may impact our hobby

  • Dan Roganti
    Oct 27, 2010
      On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Kelly D. Leavitt <kelly@...> wrote:
      Chris:
       We're a regulatory training company. These are not written rules, but policies and procedures that inspectors and enforcement officials follow.

      It states at the very top of that pdf this is a waste disposal act. Why would they be involved with hobbyists.

      We deal with one or two calls about the CA issues every month. It is the discretion of the inspector as to the details of who is what.

       Well that means then any hobbyist can be subjected to this, even TV/Radio collectors. That cannot be the scope of this policy. Since when are Hobbyists considered a junk yard ? There's is over 50yrs of precedant that will override this. It's one thing if your house is the next example of the 'Hoarders' TV episode but come on.

      Collectors are not specifically exempted and if your "collection" looks like a pile of junk it can cause you many problems (including fines). In one specific instance a "collector" had several computers that were damaged in an office fire. He was trying to refurbish them. A neighbor got into a beef with him and reported him to the Cal/EPA. He was categorized as running an unlicensed disposal facility. This is turning into quite a mess for him.

      I think he needs a better lawyer, because a >hobbyist< should not/cannot be confused as a disposal facility - that's absurd. Hopefully the public meeting will allow this policy to elaborate the differences between hobbyists. It's one thing to have a pile of junk on your lawn/backyard which can violate many city ordinances, but to confuse one's status as a hobbyist is inexcusable. BTW, their definition of collector in that doc is misleading since it's in the context of waste mgmt.

      =Dan