18389Re: [midatlanticretro] History of networking

    Sep 22 10:41 AM
      Yeah forget the "first" aspect; I just mean what are the earliest examples that we march-ins know of?

      From: "Justin Jernigan" <jaj@...>
      Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:36:57 -0400
      To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] History of networking

      Thinking aloud: unrelated to Ethernet, what really was the (ahem) "first" example of data moving between computers across a wire?

        I've always thought that was a Bell Labs "first" from the 40s.  I have a Bell Labs book somewhere around here.  Although I suppose what is meant by moving data and how advanced the "computer", I'm sure it took place in a laboratory 'first", but the publicized events of the 'first' were usually what made the history books (i.e. why publicize moving data 6 feet, when 100 miles sounds more impressive).  I will cetainly follow this thread.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic

    »
    «