18388Re: [midatlanticretro] History of networking

  • Dan Roganti
    Sep 22, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Justin Jernigan <jaj@...> wrote:

      Thinking aloud: unrelated to Ethernet, what really was the (ahem) "first" example of data moving between computers across a wire?

        I've always thought that was a Bell Labs "first" from the 40s.  I have a Bell Labs book somewhere around here.  Although I suppose what is meant by moving data and how advanced the "computer", I'm sure it took place in a laboratory 'first", but the publicized events of the 'first' were usually what made the history books (i.e. why publicize moving data 6 feet, when 100 miles sounds more impressive).  I will cetainly follow this thread.

      wasn't it the FieldData by RCA,
      as least they tried to demonstrate networking various systems in the battlefield

      =Dan

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic