18169VCF Midwest

    Sep 6, 2010
      FYI,
      http://chiclassiccomp.org/vcfmw
      It looks like there will be a "green screen experience" as well as other interesting exhibits.

      Although the site has a quick description of my exhibit, here's the full text description, an attempt to represent the MidAtlantic region:

      The SIG

      The computer hobbyist special interest group, or "SIG", became popular in the later 1970's and was comprised of communities of like-minded persons dedicated to a particular computer system or manufacturer. There were hundreds, maybe thousands of these groups in North America and elsewhere. Most SIG's held monthly meetings, published newsletters, and ran SIG-centric bulletin board systems. The SIG was a communication tool, a software library, a knowledge base, and the source of innovation. Often these clubs continued well after a product was canceled or became obsolete and in this way they were the first "vintage computer" hobbyists. The number of SIG's declined in the mid 90's as the World Wide Web diminished the need for such groups.

      My exhibit will demonstrate systems and materials from the New Jersey USA based Timex Sinclair 1000 (ZX81) SIG.