17927Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro II - no disk seek

  • Dan Roganti
    Aug 3 1:17 PM
      I don't like starting without a known tested floppy drive first. This can get frustrating if you don't. You said that you swapped between the original A 'n B drives of the Kaypro,. How about the PC 360k drive, is that a known tested drive ? if so, give it a try, once you change it to drive 0.
      Like Bill said , don't forget the Terminator chip[usually blue], it's in another DIP socket, next to the edge connector, still at work here, but I think it's supposed to sit on Drive A - the reverse of what you think.

      I would further inspect that white crusty residue that you mentioned, it sounds like something was leaking, not good, it can corrode the components and cause addt'l problems. Hopefully the PC 360k drive is clean.

      Then you always want a drive cleaner, the heads can still have gunk on them - floppies get old and leave lots of oxide on them

      =Dan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM, <telmnstr@...> wrote:
      Okay, I hooked up the 360K floppy after moving the jumper from DS1 to DS0
      and it does not seek upon powering on the kaypro II. It was the only drive
      on the chain.

      Voltages seem to be okay as far as the +12/+5/-12 hitting the system
      board.

      I'm guessing the problem is something else.

      The screen says insert a floppy into A and A is flashing.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)