17911Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro II - no disk seek

  • Dan Roganti
    Aug 2, 2010
      I went thru repairing several drives on mine - it's a chore. If the drive is spinning and you have no Drive LED swap out the config jumpers. They always have a Configuration Header in a DIP socket at Location 1E on the floppy interface board [attached to the drive], just swap that out with the other drive to make it drive:0 . This is a 14pin header in a 16pin socket, so watch your pin 1, label them so you don't them mixed up. Use a small flat screwdriver to pry out the header slowly, just as you would with chips in a socket, but these are thin and can break, so edge it out from both sides alittle at a time.

      =Dan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM, systems_glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:
      The PC drive will be jumpered for drive 1 (as opposed to drive 0)...if
      you can find the documentation for the drive, you can usually change
      this. Likewise, you should be able to change the drive select jumper
      on the second drive in the Kaypro.

      ~Jonathan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:22 AM, telmnstr <telmnstr@...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      >  We have a small retro gaming event coming up and I'm struggling to get some old stuff working.
      >
      >  Kaypro II I pulled out of storage. In mint physical condition. The disk A doesn't seem to seek at all when I power it on. The screen says to insert disk A.
      >
      >  I tried hooking a PC 360k drive to the machine, the drive spins (as does the original A drive) but no light.
      >
      >  I tried connecting the ribbon to the other disk, but it looks like the drive is jumpered for configuration.
      >
      >  The little tantalum caps inside all have some sort of white crust on them.
      >
      >  Thoughts?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic