17611Re: HOPE again

  • systems.glitch
    Jul 5, 2010
      I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes, but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server. LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when there's less traffic.

      The SPARCclassic does have two built-in serial ports, but using the second port requires a splitter cable, which I don't have. If there's interest, I could build the splitter cable so that two vintage computers can log in (wiring diagrams for the cables are readily available online). I plan on providing telnet, SSH, ftp, text-only browsing, and gopher client services...any thoughts/recommendations on other things to include?

      Thanks,
      Jonathan

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "systems.glitch" <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

      > Actual name is Jonathan Chapman...but known as systems_glitch or just glitch through most forums. I found out about MARCH actually through the Vintage Computer Forums (user glitch there), but only recently joined as I've just moved to Troy, NY and am interested in bringing hardware to HOPE (saw you guys there last year).
      >
      > I got in to vintage computers out of necessity, as I was given an IBM PC/XT in elementary school. My family had a Packard Bell running a Pentium Classic @ 133 MHz, but the XT was *mine,* not to be disturbed by my brother, et c., so it got a lot of use. Many school papers were written using the Leading Edge Word Processor! I learned to program in BASIC between the XT and my grandmother's Leading Edge Model D. I'm also into electronics, so vintage computers provide a much more open platform to interface with. Currently I'm most interested in old IBM hardware, CP/M machines, and early Apple/Mac hardware. I'm going in to the second phase of prototyping on a single-board 8085 based system for project control that needs a lot of I/O (going from point-to-point board to an etched PCB).
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@> wrote:

      > > > Welcome, newb! Please introduce yourself + how you got into vintage computers + what's your name, or is it just Mr. Glitch? :)
      > >
      > > Oh great, another system glitch... :-)
      > >

      > > Mike Loewen mloewen@
      > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic