17589Re: HOPE again

  • systems.glitch
    Jun 30, 2010
      Actual name is Jonathan Chapman...but known as systems_glitch or just glitch through most forums. I found out about MARCH actually through the Vintage Computer Forums (user glitch there), but only recently joined as I've just moved to Troy, NY and am interested in bringing hardware to HOPE (saw you guys there last year).

      I got in to vintage computers out of necessity, as I was given an IBM PC/XT in elementary school. My family had a Packard Bell running a Pentium Classic @ 133 MHz, but the XT was *mine,* not to be disturbed by my brother, et c., so it got a lot of use. Many school papers were written using the Leading Edge Word Processor! I learned to program in BASIC between the XT and my grandmother's Leading Edge Model D. I'm also into electronics, so vintage computers provide a much more open platform to interface with. Currently I'm most interested in old IBM hardware, CP/M machines, and early Apple/Mac hardware. I'm going in to the second phase of prototyping on a single-board 8085 based system for project control that needs a lot of I/O (going from point-to-point board to an etched PCB).