17514RE: [midatlanticretro] QST article

  • Bill Degnan
    Jun 19, 2010
      -------- Original Message --------

      the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this
      statement.

      > > 73 de Kelly
      > > KB2SYD
      > >

      > QST? ... ham radio. nope. What did they say?
      > bd
      >

      > Sorry, the exact term was "Personal Computing". A subtle, but significant
      difference. Here is the reference:

      > In an article by John Dilks...
      > "I invented the term 'Personal Computing' after a telephone conversation
      with Carl Helmers. He had mentioned the word 'personal' while discussing
      the pluses of owning our own computer and using them at home for all kinds
      of uses that we envisioned. The name made sense. I later registered the
      trademark."

      > The article discusses "PC76", an early computer convention held on August
      28-29, 1976 (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with). Mr. Dilks was
      one of the people who made this event happen. Also mentions ACGNJ. Might be
      an interesting person to give a talk. He is affiliated with InfoAge already
      through the New Jersey Antique Radio Club.

      > Kelly

      Kelly,
      We have spoken with John, to my knowledge he had not been available. It
      would be an honor if he would speak at VCF, perhaps you can ask what favor
      we could return to him.

      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/images/thm_PC76.jpg
      (picture of pc 76 poster)_

      bd