17513RE: [midatlanticretro] QST article

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Jun 19, 2010

      Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

      > Did anyone read the article in this month's
      QST about the coining of the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this statement.

      > 73 de Kelly

      KB2SYD

      QST? ... ham radio. nope. What did they say?
      bd

      Sorry, the exact term was "Personal Computing". A subtle, but significant difference. Here is the reference:

      In an article by John Dilks...
       "I invented the term 'Personal Computing' after a telephone conversation with Carl Helmers. He had mentioned the word 'personal' while discussing the pluses of owning our own computer and using them at home for all kinds of uses that we envisioned. The name made sense. I later registered the trademark."

      The article discusses "PC76", an early computer convention held on August 28-29, 1976 (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with). Mr. Dilks was one of the people who made this event happen. Also mentions ACGNJ. Might be an interesting person to give a talk. He is affiliated with InfoAge already through the New Jersey Antique Radio Club.

      Kelly
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic