      From: Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>
      Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 10:40 PM
      To: MARCH Yahoo <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Data recovery project

      I've been working on another data recovery project, for the gentleman
      who designed the Quest Super Elf. He had over 100 single-sided 8"
      diskettes from 1979-1980, formatted and written on a S100 system under
      CP/M 2.2. I imaged the disks with Dave Dunfield's IMD utility, converted
      them to binary image files with IMDU, then used the Linux cpmtools suite
      to extract the files. Only about a half dozen disks had errors on them,
      and enough of the files were duplicated so that I believe we recovered
      everything (so far).

      This recovery was a lot easier than my IMSAI project, since the disks
      were all formatted as single-sided, single density (128x26). I was quite
      surprised at the lack of errors on the majority of the disks - they just
      don't make 'em like that any more!

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...