1650Re: [midatlanticretro] Disaster restoration

    Nov 4, 2005
      Youch!...I would wrap/bag the working pieces and wait for a non-functioning
      12 to come along (ebay or ??), buy it, and then do a transplant. It would
      not hurt to try to fix the case, but load-bearing plastic is hard to recover.
      Bill D

      At 01:27 PM 11/4/2005 +0000, you wrote:
      >I'm looking for an opinion. First a word of caution, the following
      >tale contains a graphic description of the destruction of a classic
      >computer. If such things make you queasy, please turn away.
      >
      >I have several TRS-80 Model 12 computers with dual 8" disk drives.
      >They reside on a heavy duty metal shelf that is fastened to the wall.
      >The one on the top shelf is about 5.5' off the ground. The bracket
      >that holds this shelf to the shelving upright decided it didn't like
      >being where it was and fell to the floor. Unfortunately, this was the
      >bracket on the front, and the shelf pitched forward. So did the 30
      >pound model 12. Fortunately, it didn't land quite directly on the
      >cement floor below, but struck a glancing blow.
      >
      >Now, one of my model 12's (and the only on whose case had not
      >yellowed) is in about 5 brazillion pieces (actually only about 100 or
      >so, but this is my story).
      >
      >What to do? I can use some glues and re-enforcers to reassemble the
      >case. I can also re-align the floppy drives. But what happens to
      >the "value" of the computer.
      >
      >Personally, as long as it functions, and is intact after repairs, it
      >doesn't bother me. What do you all think?
      >
      >Any suggestions for the type of glue to use? The case in question is
      >made of that brittle, hard plastic that RS was fond of in its
      >business computers.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic