16442Re: They Don't Make Computer Manuals Like They Used To

  • jack99rubin
    Mar 8 9:11 AM
      Which is exactly why I urged you to do a "Franklin Panel" for VCF a few years ago! I probably should have just attached Evan to your ankle. You and Franklin are an integral part of the "revolution" and you/we should be interviewing and documenting (in the historical, not "user manual" sense) the work that you did. Same with some of the other club resources such as Claude, Herb, Bob Kushnier, and several others.

      Sheesh!

      Jack

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

      > Since this is of personal interest to me, keep in mind that there is documentation and then there are the things that went on behind the scenes. Docs are important, but a lot of the docs have stuff that nobody notices until the "inside story" gets told, as was the case with the web page that started this whole discussion. I can probably find copies of the Franklin ACE-1000 documentation at a number of computer museums, but how many curators know what all the pictures mean? 100 years from now there will still be vintage computers sitting in collections along with the docs, but little of the history or inside stories. Believe me, a LOT of interesting things went on at the time that never got documented :)
      >
      > I remember one of the first episodes of Futurama when Fry and Leela go to the moon and watch a stage presentation about the early space program, none of which is told correctly. Is the same fate awaiting the early days of personal computers? Only Microsoft, IBM and Apple will have any legacy?
      >
      > Bob

      <snip>
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic