16437Re: [midatlanticretro] They Don't Make Computer Manuals Like They Used To

    Mar 7, 2010
      So can we do a better job of collecting documentation? (rhetorical question) The fact that Bitsavers has so much is no excuse for us to not make every effort to collect and preserve original copies of manuals. Such a library should make the museum a destination for historians and collectors to do research. Plug and Play was the worst thing that ever happened to documentation. Manufacturers think they can just say "plug it in and it will work" and when it does, everyone is happy. But when it doesn't, there to no way to debug.

      Jim

      On 2/25/2010 7:59 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      Yeesh .... I kept reading and Bob A.'s name comes up, including the answer to my question.  Amazing.

      Ha .... You read my mind!  I was just about to reply and say, "Let's see if we can get either The Bobs to comment on this."

      Do you know who wrote the manuals?

      Glad you enjoyed them :)

      A lot of people focus on the hardware and software of the early days, but most of the stories behind the scenes go untold.  The stories are the best part!  The early 80s was a very exciting time in the personal computer world and a few of us were fortunate enough to work for personal computer companies back then.

      Bob

      On Feb 25, 2010, at 6:36 PM, ysgdhio wrote:

      http://www.ironicsa ns.com/2010/ 02/they_dont_ make_computer_ manual.html

      (Wouldn't have been half as good without the added commentary by Bob!)

      Cheers,
      Andy

  • Show all 21 messages in this topic