16428Re: [midatlanticretro] Ancient Printer Documentation

    Mar 6 11:20 AM
      Hey Ron,
      What printer, maybe I have the actual manual. I know that these
      commands were in HP laserjet manuals because I used to use them when I
      programmed using the Clipper language. I have a chart from a Gemini
      10X/15X nearby, what exactly do you need?
      Bill Degnan

      RonK wrote:
      > Hi Guys,
      >
      > I was having some problems, sharing a printer between my computers. I thought I knew very little about how this operation worked. All I knew was there is a thing called a printer driver, and somehow the correct signals flowed from one computer, over the LAN to the other computer, and then out to the printer through a USB port.
      >
      > Starting to think about it more, the back part of my brain kicked in. I suddenly remembered, I DID have a knowledge of how printers work!
      >
      > Remember, in olden days, when you bought a printer, it came with a 60 page manual, which was stocked full of ASCII printer commands? Using BASIC, you could "OPEN" the printer and send commands down the line to put the printer through its paces.
      >
      > I guess it still works that way today, but we have become so far removed from the real nitty-gritty of our machines, that I figured only you guys would appreciate where we've been.
      >
      > Anybody still have an old printer manual around?
      >
      > Ron

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic