15824Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Welcome to Macintosh on CNBC January 4 at 9:30PM ET

  • Ray Sills
    Jan 5, 2010
      On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
      <snip>

      > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
      > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

      </snip>

      BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
      motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
      ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
      floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

      I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
      write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
      MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
      somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
      But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
      IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
      can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

      73 de Ray
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic