15659Re: [midatlanticretro] Isepik (Icepick)

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Dec 14, 2009
      Ray Sills <raysills@...> writes:

      >Isepik is a combination of software and a hardware gadget that plugs
      >into the cartridge port. It has a ROM on board (IIRC) that can be
      >switched on after the target program is running in the C64. I suspect
      >it makes the switch after a video interrupt, or something like that.
      >
      >Anyway, once the gadget is in control of the machine, you can dump the
      >RAM contents on to a floppy disk, using a standard 1541 drive. And,
      >you'd be able to then load -that- disk directly with the drive. And
      >(again IIRC) you would not need the Isepik to run that disk.
      >
      >The company asserted that it was not a tool for piracy, but making
      >legitimate archival copies of software you own. Right.

      OK. That makes sense. An autonomous device/CPU outside of the system
      itself. But, like I said, that would work on simple machines but I'd
      bet that implementing such a device for today's hardware would be quite
      a feat.

      I'll have to remember to ask to see this when I make a visit to Evans.