15279Re: [midatlanticretro] Now hold on a sec....

  • Ray Sills
    Dec 1, 2009
      According to Wikipedia's biography on Gates:

      "In 1980, IBM approached Microsoft to write the BASIC interpreter for
      its upcoming personal computer, the IBM PC. When IBM's
      representatives mentioned that they needed an operating system, Gates
      referred them to Digital Research (DRI), makers of the widely used CP/
      M operating system.[30] IBM's discussions with Digital Research went
      poorly, and they did not reach a licensing agreement. IBM
      representative Jack Sams mentioned the licensing difficulties during
      a subsequent meeting with Gates and told him to get an acceptable
      operating system. A few weeks later Gates proposed using 86-DOS
      (QDOS), an operating system similar to CP/M that Tim Paterson of
      Seattle Computer Products (SCP) had made for hardware similar to the
      PC. Microsoft made a deal with SCP to become the exclusive licensing
      agent, and later the full owner, of 86-DOS. After adapting the
      operating system for the PC, Microsoft delivered it to IBM as PC-DOS
      in exchange for a one-time fee of $50,000. Gates did not offer to
      transfer the copyright on the operating system, because he believed
      that other hardware vendors would clone IBM's system.[31] They did,
      and the sales of MS-DOS made Microsoft a major player in the industry.
      [32]"

      That might be the correct version, but if someone knows better, at
      least he can correct it.

      73 de Ray

      On Dec 1, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      >> I thought it was IBM went to MS, Gates suggested CP/M, the wife/
      >> business manager for Addell (sp) wouldn't sign and NDA and so MS
      >> went back to Gates? Or am I as accurate as the History Channel?
      > I don't know.
      >
      > Herb would know. But I'm not sure if he still reads our list.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic