14973Re: [midatlanticretro] TCF 2010 + MARCH

    Nov 3, 2009
      I politely disagree with Evan's point that exposure at this event will
      take away from VCF. I wish to open a debate on the subject, politely
      and with thoughtful consideration.

      My points:
      1) Advertising is all about repetition. I am a businessman and I think
      in terms of marketing.

      2) How many exhibitors at VCF do you think we'll get from TCF?

      3) Are we in this group ever tired of this stuff? Why would other
      like-minded people not want to see more?

      4) Who in this group saw the vintage computer exhibit at the Smithsonian
      and said, that's enough for me for at least one year. "I refuse to look
      at vintage computers now for one year." doesn't make sense to me.

      5) I have a practically ready-made presentation that involves TCF on my
      web site with original pictures, etc. I have a lot more info as well.

      Respectfully,

      Bill

      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Got an email today from Al Katz, re: next year's Trenton event (April
      > 24-25). He wrote, "As 2010 is our 35th year, we are also seeking talks
      > that deal with the history of PCs and their impact on society."
      >
      > That caught my eye, so I called him for more information. He clearly
      > explained that they're NOT doing anything competitive to MARCH/VCF, but
      > they'd certainly like our help.
      >
      > So the question is this: How, other than our regular demo booth, can we
      > creatively emphasize computer history at Trenton -- without
      > cannibalizing our own event? (I'm somewhat terrified that the public
      > will say, "I just saw vintage computers in April, why should I go to
      > another event in September?")
      >
      > Al added that if we go beyond our usual demo, then he'll advertise our
      > museum in the Trenton show proceedings, which could be very helpful for
      > us and InfoAge.
      >
      > Unrelated -- this year's Trenton keynote speaker is RMS.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic