1496Re: IBM Computer Identification

  • chrism3667
    Oct 7, 2005
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
      <ploopster@g...> wrote:

      > Yes, but the point of these machines is that they're *interesting*.
      > SCSI is less so. Even SCSI is more interesting than IDE. IDE is
      > abortion. SATA is a definite improvement, but SSCSI and FC-AL are
      > definitely superior.

      The point I was trying to make was that RLL, MFM, ESDI, etc. drives
      are old and not "replaceable" (unless you find another old klunker).
      Old in this sense means unreliable. All magnetic media breaks down. I
      *wish* I could receive a steady supply of 8" floppers to use in some
      of my new babies (NEC APCs). Not happening. So therefore some of my
      old beauties have to be upgraded to use more modern media. I like
      them so much I want to keep them running.

      > >>The original
      > >>Model 25 was 8-bit ISA and had an 8088.
      > Actually there were versions with an 8088, followed by an 8086, a
      > and a 486SLC.

      To my knowledge all the *original* 30's and 25's came with 8086's.
      I've never heard mention of an 8088 in either.

      > The PS/2's were many things (closed, waay too expensive, etc) but
      > were never crappy. Not everyone groaned. Only private people
      > Many, many companies used them because they're *indestructable*
      > *completely reliable*.

      I meant crappy in the sense of expensive to upgrade, loathsome
      screens, general lacklusterless. I wasn't referring to their
      reliability. I too have seen big ps towers running into the 21st
      century. Anyone that had to deal with them wished they were somewhat
      less reliable.
      And what made the Model 25 so crappy?

      > I took it upon myself to find out when that closet had been walled
      > and found that it had been closed since 1989, and that the control
      > had been running continuously since then. (!)

      And they tried, O they tried, to keep it buried.

      > Influencing someone into using less interesting hardware that's
      > prone to failure is a good influence? Not exactly a vintage

      Dude, the definition of vintage is O-L-D. The olderer the betterer.
      And a 5150 is way more interesting then a ps. And all of it's
      components are emminently replaceable. We can't count on that with
      all our vintage items, but we can try. The only way you're going to
      get some parts for a ps is to scrounge them out of another one. It's
      so totally a vintage attitude. Absolutely totally.

      > It doesn't cost much to upgrade a PS/2. My trusty old Mod 80 was
      > upgraded to a 486BL3-100 with 46MB RAM for less than $50, and it's
      > running. That's *without* a motherboard swapout, which I firmly
      > is cheating.

      Confession is good for the soul. Bless you my son :)

      > I *dare* you to upgrade another machine of similar vintage for a
      > quantity of money.

      Well, sort of a loaded statement. I won't say loaded with what.
      Maybe we'll just leave it be.

      And don't get the impression I'm knocking ps's here. I own a few. In
      reality I own 1 true ps. The 2 25's and 30 are so old school, they
      belong in a category by themselves.
    • Show all 56 messages in this topic