14934Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: CRT Rejuvenation

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Oct 28, 2009
      Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

      >I don't think this is really a weak tube problem.
      >The purple spot is more than likely a simple magnetization
      >issue. All color sets have a degaussing coil that fires when
      >the set is turned on from cold. If your degaussing circuit
      >has failed, the shadow mas

      DEC used the Sony tubes in most of their larger video monitor
      offerings such as the VRT21. Even with the degaussing coil in
      tact and functional, these tubes would experience magnetization
      of the shadow mask. It can be very difficult to get residual
      magnetization that is causing the color bleed neutralized when
      this happens. I have one such tube with this issue that I was
      able to minimize but never completely annihilate. I just live
      with it as it's not all that pronounced now.

      If your system needs an RGB/sync-on-G or RGB/V&H monitor, there
      are RGB-to-VGA adaptors. You can then use a modern display as
      your video monitor -- even an LCD flat panel. Imagine just how
      much less your Watt-Meter will spin and how much less you'll be
      donating to your power company each month. ;) Much less heat
      in the summer months too.