14931Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: CRT Rejuvenation - other tools needed

  • Dan Roganti
    Oct 28, 2009
      Dan Roganti wrote:
      Joe Giliberti wrote: Does anyone have any experience rejuvenating CRT screens? How is it done? I have a really nice Sony TV monitor from the late 80's that has developed some picture issues. I don't want to toss it, as I want to use it for c64. Mainly, a purple spot has formed in the corner, and the picture is no longer as sharp as it once was.
      I have one here, but I'm too far for you I think -- Pittsburgh :)
      I could always bring to the next vintage computer workshop

      I overlooked a couple of things in your message - I haven't finished drinking my coffee here yet.
      On the purple spot - it really sounds like you need a degausser.
      The bigger the better depending on the size of the tube.
      I have a 16" here that would help too.
      On short notice, you can also you the magnetism generated from a 100W solder gun.
      I've done when I was without my tools, it has a smaller mag. field but you can still clear it up.

      About the sharpness, there's a focus control on the flyback that will adjust this.
      When you can't get it completely in focus, it sounds like the Flyback is wearing thin - it'll be time for a change soon.

      =Dan

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic