14930RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: CRT Rejuvenation

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Oct 28, 2009
      >Does anyone have any experience rejuvenating CRT screens? How is it done? I
      >have a really nice Sony TV monitor from the late 80's that has developed
      >some picture issues. I don't want to toss it, as I want to use it for c64.
      >Mainly, a purple spot has formed in the corner, and the picture is no longer
      >as sharp as it once was.

      A degaussing coil. That was a common footprint in the Sony tubes.

      Be carefull of the high voltages inside. The focusing screen is in
      the tube. Try cleaning the entire unit. Blow all the dust off of
      all of the wiring leading to the tube. Be very carefull NOT to move
      the deflection coil. Realignment can be tedious. A TV repair shop
      may be able to refocus the tube for you for some $$$.