1472Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: IBM Computer Identification and first computing job

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Oct 5, 2005
      billdeg@... wrote:
      > That was it, Venture Publisher. Probably the same system. Page Maker was a
      > rip off of Venture Publisher. It had been so long I forgot. If you ever come
      > across a spare xerox that runs Venture publisher I would like to see it or
      > trade something for it.

      It's Ventur*A* Publisher. It was just distributed by Xerox. It was
      written by Ventura Software. Eventually Ventura was bought out by
      Corel. It's Corel's competitor to Adobe (formerly Aldus) Pagemaker.

      Neither was a "rip-off" of the other. Ventura ran under GEM, and
      Pagemaker ran under Windows 2.0. They came out at roughly the same time.

      I don't believe it ever ran on Xerox machines. It ran on GEM under DOS.

      I believe the Xerox machine you're talking about was the Xerox STAR
      workstation. It ran a desktop publishing software package called Viewpoint.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic