1429Re: [midatlanticretro] IBM Computer Identification and first computing job

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Oct 5, 2005
      I worked as an intern at IBM when they launched the PS/2 and AS-400. The model 30, 50, and 80 were the first PS/2's (at least in Wilmington, Delaware).  The model 50 shipped with an optional "Windows 286", and the model 80 with an optional "Windows 386".  The default OS was IBM DOS 3.3.  Windows 286 and 386 were not seriously used.  Soon after came the model 25 (with Windows 1.04 Collegiate Kit) and the model 70, etc..
      The model 60 was part of the 2nd phase of the PS/2 line.
      Personally I count the model 25, 30, 50, and 80 "original versions" on the last cusp of "vintage computers" because they shipped with "vintage Windows OS's" (before Win 3.0)  I also used the first version of OS/2 on the model 80.  I remember opening the model 80 box with a bunch of people standing around and thinking that I had never seen anything like a model 80 before.  My first assignment was to compare a XEROX system running Page Maker with a model 80 running Windows 386 and Page Maker.  I had also never seen at the time a XEROX system....It was a good job for a college kid.
      In a message dated 10/4/2005 7:23:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, starbase89@... writes:
      OK, I guess you could call my find a "vintage" computer. I found
      it...well, in a neighbor's garbage.  Its an old IBM tower, and I was
      wondering if anyone has some info on it. Thing must weigh 40 pounds, and
      has a handle on top. Front plate says "IBM, Personal System/2, Model 60.
      Inside, there is the motherboard and power supply. There is one card
      inside that has a DB9 port on the plate. Any help? I can post pictures
      if need be

      -Joe G
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic