1416Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: PDP11 stuff available

  • William Pechter
    Oct 4, 2005
      I don't think you'll ever get anything like mysql running on the PDP
      because of it's limited address space.

      Realistically you'd be better off with a green screen hooked to a
      multiports card on a PC running a FreBSD or Linux.

      There's almost nothing out there that will compile and build on a PDP.
      GCC support stopped around v1.5 or so.

      There was Unix SysIII and stuff -- (no virtual memory) or BSD 2.11 (no
      virtual memory).

      RT11/RSX11/RSTS are better but not obtainable legally unless the
      software was legally transferred with the hardware.

      It's been a long time since my DEC Field Service days, but I'll help
      where time permits.

      I've also got some old SparcII stuff and a VAXStation that I'd donate
      to a good home or have 'em join the show somewhere.

      They'll run more current stuff but they really are not as classic as
      the PDP 11/73.

      A real cool box (if I can find one) is the PDT11/150. I'm keeping my
      eyes open -- I used to run multiterminal basic on RT11 on one and it
      was slick in just 60kb of memory with three tubes running.

      Bill

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic