1405Re: [midatlanticretro] Altos "Serie 5" 5-AD Computer

  • William Pechter
    Oct 3, 2005
      I hate to say this but Linux or xBSD or even Xenix would be a better
      idea on a PC with a four ports serial card hooked to vt100s.

      The disks on the old boys (MFM stuff mostly) are really old and flaky
      and the new IDE stuff or SCSI costs too much to interface.

      I'd love to see it on something like a 386/486/early pentium.

      Bill

      --- Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > What a great find! I've been thinking that it would be really cool if
      > we used
      > something like this or a PDP/VAX/etc to run a catalog of everything
      > at the
      > museum. The catalog would be available to visitors with information
      > about the
      > collection. It might even be possible to put the catalog on the web,
      > although
      > that would be a little tough for a CP/M machine...
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > --- billdeg@... wrote:
      >
      > > Howdy,
      > > A new member to the family - the Altos 5-AD. I have been lucky
      > enough to
      > > get a free Altos 5 with the 10 MB Hard drive, CP/M and M/PM
      > software,
      > > etc.
      > > Aside from the need for a little cleaning, it seems to be in
      > perfect shape
      > > and
      > > runs great. This system is capable of running three terminals at
      > once.
      > > The
      > > donor also gave me the docs, software, and a terminal. He also
      > had
      > > custom
      > > software he developed for the Altos and the TRS 80 Model II.
      > >
      > > After work today I will test more of the software, etc.
      > >
      > > Here is a good page to describe.
      > >
      > > _http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=455_
      > > (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=455)
      > >
      > > He has more systems, but he still has to dig them out He will let
      > me
      > > know.
      > > He was poking around.."I have an Altos 8000 around here
      > someplace..."
      > >
      > > Bill D

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic