13808RE: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model II keyboard

  • Mike Loewen
    Aug 11 5:53 AM
      On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

      > On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:
      >
      >> ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
      >> 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
      >> from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
      >> jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
      >> (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
      >> sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
      >> combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
      >> (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.
      >
      > Mike:
      > Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).
      >
      > Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works.
      > I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making
      > a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them
      > manually I guess.

      I think I have a better way of making them, by gluing the mylar to one
      side of the foam strip and a sheet of thin plastic (report cover) to the
      other side, then using a 7/16" hole punch to punch all three layers. The
      first batch I tried came out too wrinkly (the mylar layer) for my taste
      but a little experimentation should take care of that.

      That being said, I don't think I'll have time to get a batch made
      before VCF. If I get my exhibit project done, I'll see what I can do.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...