13798RE: [midatlanticretro] TRS-80 Model II keyboard

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Aug 10, 2009
      Dang, I hate compures some days.

      On Tuesday, June 09, 2009, Mike Loewen wrote:

      >> Based on the articles I've read about rebuilding capacitive keyboards,
      >> I think I can resurrect it. Unfortunately, I don't have the materials on
      >> hand. I'll see what I can dig up.
      >
      > Going by hints in this article about rebuilding Sol 20 keyboards:
      >
      > http://www.solivant.com/sol20kbd/
      >
      > ...I was 100% successful in rebuilding my Model II keyboard. I used a
      > 7/16" hollow punch purchased in a set from Grizzly, a $3.00 Space Blanket
      > from WalMart, a strip of 3/16" Track Foam from the local hobby store and a
      > jar of Elmer's Rubber Cement. I used the punch to make 76 foam circles
      > (use a drill press or a mill), then glued them to the conductive side of a
      > sheet cut from the space blanket. I used the punch again to punch out the
      > combination of foam and mylar circle, then glued the old plastic discs
      > (after cleaning) to the back of the foam.

      Mike:
      Any interest in making several hundred of these :-).

      Seriously, out of the 8 model 16/12 keyboards I have, exactly 1 works. I'm hoping to get one more working for VCF, then sitting down and making a whole bunch of these. I don't have a drill press, but I can make them manually I guess.

      Kelly
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic